Along with the creation of a vibrant new town centre for Hailsham, each of the masterplan options will deliver a considerable number of community benefits for local people, the town itself and the district more widely.
As part of the design process, five different ‘character areas’ are being established to provide a distinct personality to each of the key parts of the town centre.
All three masterplan options include the following:
The project will modernise and expand the town centre’s retail offer, making space for a variety of large, small, and independent stores at the heart of Hailsham Town Centre. This will give residents and visitors more opportunity to support local business and the local economy. A revitalised retail and commercial space will also help attract business to the area and allow for the creation of new jobs.
All options have new civic buildings conveniently located within the masterplan design. This includes access to new Wealden District Council offices, spaces for community groups and opportunities for leisure.
The masterplan options all feature new connections and crossings to create better links to, from and within the town centre. This includes wider pedestrian walkways with a more open feel, making it easier to access and utilise the town centre using various transport options.
New public green space and open space are included within each masterplan option, along with increasing wildlife and biodiversity, significant tree planting and landscaping, and creating opportunities for play.
A mixture of much needed and environmentally friendly homes will be created of varying sizes to provide options for all, from first time buyers to family homes, and those looking to downsize. Bringing more homes into the town centre will also enable people to access services, retail, employment and leisure activities on their doorstep.
Masterplan Option 01
What are the main features of masterplan 01?
- Wealden District Council offices in central location adjacent to new Leisure Facility
- Public green space to the north of the site
- ‘Anchor Store’ (a major retail store that serves as the prominent business in a shopping area). to the south, in close proximity to other retail offer
- New multistorey car park in the centre of the site
- A copy of Masterplan option 01 is available as a downloadable/printable information board here.
Masterplan Option 02
What are the main features of masterplan 02?
- Public green space to the north east, with views of the wider countryside
- New car park located close to facilities, e.g. ‘Anchor Store’ (a major retail store that serves as the prominent business in a shopping area) and Leisure Facility
- Large public space around war memorial and St Mary’s Church
- Wealden District Council offices to the rear of the site
- A copy of Masterplan option 02 is available as a downloadable/printable information board here.
Masterplan Option 03
What are the main features of masterplan 03?
- Large central public square
- Leisure Facility located adjacent to central square
- New car park in close proximity to the retail zone and Leisure Facility
- Wealden District Council offices to the very rear of the site
- A copy of Masterplan option 03 is available as a downloadable/printable information board here.